Do you think vaping (E-cigarettes) is wrong?
Nicotine in E-cigarettes contributes to heart disease
Marketing (advertised flavors) appeals to the young
Consider: There is a category of activities that are not completely sinful in themselves but you should just not participate in; things uncharacteristic of Christians
Matthew 5 : You are the light of the world…
1 Corinthians 6:12 : Not all things are expedient… (Opposite: impediment — that which causes you to stumble)
A: It is inconsistent with how a Christian must live. It is discouraged.
If a polygamist is converted today he would have to divorce all but the first wife?
(Were early Christians polygamists/households required to break up due to the New Law or were they grandfathered in?)
- Polygamy was never God’s intention.
See Matthew 19 on Marriage, Divorce, Remarriage
“…and the two shall be one…” – not two, three, four, etc.
- Acts 17 — God winked at the ignorance,, about some of these practices of the Old Testament people
- Acts 2 Repentance was a prerequisite for being baptized. A person should have repented and that includes polygamy.
A: Yes. One man for one woman.
Was it possible to have two Sabbath Days in a row?
Ex. Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) on Friday followed by the weekly sabbath
- Read in Leviticus 23, Leviticus 16:29
Performed in the 7th month,10th day of the month (specific)
They use a Perpetual Calendar arranged to guarantee the Day of Atonement would never fall on a day of the sabbath
Leviticus 16:31 Day of Atonement is called a Sabbath of Solemn Rest
A: Today’s Jews have ensured that it doesn’t happen on a Sabbath.
Background: 1 Timothy 2 on modest apparel (Def. as not to call attention to one’s self, with scanty clothing)
Is it wrong for us to dress up for the Prom Alt (prom alternative)… what about our Wedding Day?
- Both Prom Alt and Wedding Day draw attention to the girl/bride.
A: Attire must be modest and appropriate to the occasion.
- Def: modest: orderly, of good decorum and behavior.
- Include the ff considerations:
- Appropriate for the time, occasion which has an influence on the appropriateness
- Is this too revealing?
i.e. Some things that you wear would draw attention to yourself on one occasion but it wouldn’t on another
- Consider: Would it cause undue attention to yourself?
Is it wrong to think something else when you are praying?
- Prayer requires a focusing of your attention. While praying we are offering obeisance to the Almighty.
- When we’re tired, our mind may stray.
- Mark 5:1-15
A: If you’re not thinking about what you are doing, then you are not praying.
Recommendation: God won’t be offended but when your mind wanders, apologize to Him.
Would it be wrong if we had Communion after morning services and Bible class?
A: It would be inconsistent with the New Testament pattern.
- See Acts 20:7, 1 Cor 11:33
- The centerpiece of Sunday Worship in the early church is the eating of the Lord’s Supper.
Is it wrong to watch animated movies or TV shows that have immodesty in them?
A: Yes, it is.
- Today there is much unholy garbage that young people are feeding on.
- Matthew 5:28
God, our friend
Does the Bible teach us that God is our friend?
- John 5:14
- James 2:23